Organic products are outrageously expensive, typically costing 10-40% more than conventional products. This means that buying organic is out of the question for many families. But since a few conventional products are notoriously contaminated, it might make sense for some families to buy organic versions of those and conventional versions of other, safer products.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture found that even after washing, some fruits and vegetables consistently carry much higher levels of pesticide residue than others. Researchers at the Environmental Working Group (EWG) have developed a list of “dirty dozen” fruits and vegetables that you should always buy organic, if possible.
- Apples. Apples are sprayed with 36 types of pesticides. 91% of tested apples were contaminated.
- Cherries. 25 types of pesticides were found on 91% of cherries tested.
- Imported grapes. Imported grapes run a much greater risk of contamination than those grown domestically. Vineyards are sprayed with 35 different pesticides. No amount of washing or peeling will eliminate contamination because of the grape’s permeable
- Nectarines. 26 different pesticides were found on 97% of nectarines.
- Peaches. 45 different pesticides are applied to peaches in conventional orchards. 94% of peaches are contaminated.
- Pears. 35 different pesticides were found on 94% of pears.
- Raspberries. 39 pesticides were found on 59% percent of raspberries tested.
- Strawberries. Strawberries are the single most pesticide-contaminated fruit or vegetable in the United States. Strawberries receive up to 500 pounds of pesticides per acre. 36 types of pesticides can be found on 90% of tested conventional strawberries.
- Bell peppers. 39 pesticides were found on 68% of bell peppers tested.
- Celery. 29 pesticides were found on 94% of celery tested.
- Potatoes. 29 pesticides were found on 79% of potatoes tested.
- Spinach. 36 different pesticides can be found on 86% of conventional spinach. Among these pesticides found, here’s a list of what many of them do to your health!-Animal Carcinogen – Causes Birth Defects in Animals -Damages Reproductive System -Interferes with Hormones -Damages Brain and Nervous System -Damages Immune System
The 12 Least Contaminated foods are:
- Corn (sweet)
- Peas (sweet)